I know all too well the tailspin that ensues when you are seriously pondering the idea of homeschooling your children. So many questions, so many worries, and where will we find the time to take this on? Take a deep breath, and remind yourself that as of 2016, more than 1.7 million children in the U.S. alone, were being home-schooled! You are not alone! Not only that, but what better time to embark on this journey than in the age when information is at your fingertips, cheerleaders are waiting for you on YouTube, and curriculum is better than ever! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
When I started my journey into homeschooling I was lucky enough to have a sweet friend literally walk me through what to do, and how to get started. Now, I am happy to do the same for you! Here are 5 things you need to do NOW, if you are considering homeschooling. Check out the video that goes into more detail and be sure to subscribe if you like what you see!
1. Immerse Yourself in the Homeschooling Culture- Talk to everyone you know who home schools, watch videos on YouTube, read blogs, and check out Pinterest!
2. Check Into State Requirements- States have different requirements for homeschooling families. You’ll want to know what they expect of you in the areas of school days, hours, subjects, and testing.
3. Ponder Your Homeschooling Style- Before thinking about curriculum, be sure to be honest with yourself about your expectations. Are you wanting independence from your children, or are you wanting to be completely hands on? Online, or textbooks? Thinking about such things beforehand will set you up for success right from the start.
4. Know Your GOALS- What are your reasons for wanting to bring your children home for their education? I encourage you to write down your goals and be specific about what you are hoping will be different. This will keep you focused on “WHY” you are doing this when the days get hard…and they will!
5. Dive In Head First- I know it sounds crazy, but if you are convinced that this is the right move for your family…JUST DO IT!!! Submit that letter of intent, and GO FOR IT! You will learn as you go through a trial and error process, there will be bumps in the road, but you will also NEVER LOOK BACK!
6. *BONUS TIP* PRAY PRAY PRAY– In my own experience, I very much felt that homeschooling our boys was something that was prompted by the Holy Spirit. I prayed, and still pray daily, for God to show me His ways, and to pave this path ahead of me. A friend of mine told me in the beginning that this was “Her Daily Bread”. I so agree! God will you give everything you need to get through this day, and He will do it again tomorrow. I will be praying for all who read this post to feel encouraged as you move into this AMAZING new chapter! God Bless You!!!!